Somerset, Devon, Cornwall and back to Somerset!
St Mary’s Minster, Ilmimster - Ilminster takes its name from the river Isle and the church of St Mary’s which is known as The Minster. The church was built around 1450 on the site of a Saxon building. It was refurbished in 1825 by William Burgess. Its distinctive colour come from the Hamstone (a Jurassic limestone from Ham Hill in Somerset). The 90ft tower has a stair turret to the north-west corner. The north chapel contains the tombs of Sir William Wadham, by whose bequest the Minster was built, and of Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham, founders of Wadham College, Oxford.
St Andrew’s in Ipplepen, Devon. The church was built in the 15th century building with but incorporates some fragments from the 14 century. The west tower has three stages and the porch has two storeys.
....and now to Cornwall. St Andrew’s Methodist Church, Mevagissey was built in the 19th century.
St Just Church, Gorran Haven - more correctly known as the Chapel of St Just.
The Parish Church of St Gorran in the aptly named Gorran Churchtown.
Holy Trinity Church, Tresillian, near Truro - The church was built at Tresillian Bridge in 1904 . The font, bells, statue of St Anthony and pulpit from the near by St Anthony’s Church at Merther were moved to the new church at Tresillian.
The church of St Elwyn in Hayle was built in 1886-88 to the design of J. D. Sedding. According to Pevsner it is "loud outside ... and dull inside"
St Barnabas Church, Queen Camel, Somerset, was built in the 14th century The tall tower dates from around 1491,it has 5 stages with pairs corner buttresses to full the height, ending in pinnacle. There is a full height octagonal stair turret with slit windows on the north-westside. The church houses the second heaviest set of six bells in Europe